You’re probably not thinking about lawn care right now since all of your lawn and landscape is under snow.
Yet, spring time will be here before you know it. And you’ll be thinking about mowing and maintaining your lawn throughout the spring, summer, and fall months.
Do you ever wonder: “What’s the point of maintaining a lawn?”
Here are eight simple reasons why maintaining your Rockland County, NY or Bergen County, NJ lawn is so important:
- A lush green carpet of grass will save you money in the long run. How? By investing in the upkeep of your yard’s health throughout the seasons of the year, you avoid having to have your lawn completely reconstructed because of compacted soil, lots of weeds, and other lawn problems.
- A healthy lawn provides a safe place to play. Whether you’re playing a pickup game of soccer or your kids routinely play tag or play on the swing set, you can rest assured that the grass in your backyard will provide a soft landing place for any falls.
- A full, thick lawn is cool for your feet. It doesn’t matter how hot it gets in New City, NY. Your lawn will remain cool to the touch every time you walk barefoot on it.
- A healthy lawn minimizes the need for pesticides and herbicides. Keep up with your lawn’s monthly needs from March through November. Regular mowing at a 3” height, proper irrigation techniques, fertilizing at the right time, as well as other smart turf care practices will encourage healthy grass growth that develops into a dense lawn which won’t allow weeds to get a foothold. Additionally, you limit your use of pesticides and herbicides—saving your time, money and the environment.
- A well-maintained lawn adds to your property value. Even if your house is not on the market, your property’s curb appeal will add to your home’s value. If your home happens to be on the market, your yard’s upkeep may be what it takes to seal the deal on the sale of your home.
- A healthy lawn equals better air quality. Did you know that 30 million acres of lawns can get rid of 5% of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere? A healthy lawn also supplies the air around you with oxygen, as well as traps dust and smoke particles from the atmosphere. And a healthy lawn can act like an air conditioner. According to PLANET (Professional Land Care Network, http://goo.gl/MLkm9D), eight healthy front lawns have the cooling effect of 70 tons of air conditioning—that’s enough air conditioning to cool 16 average-sized homes.
- A well-maintained lawn helps to purify ground water. According to the EPA and PLANET, a vigorous, thick lawn filters soil contaminants and slows down rainwater to prevent soil erosion before it goes into the ground—all thanks to turf’s amazing root systems. One grass blade can have nearly 300 miles of root system (PLANET, http://goo.gl/MLkm9D).
- A full, thick lawn will feed your local ecosystem. Did you know that there’s a whole world underneath your lawn? It’s true. And healthy turf aids in that life cycle, such as providing a home for beneficial micro-organisms that feed and filter the soil—keeping it healthy and well-aerated, which in turn maintains an environment for you to have a vigorous lawn.
It takes a lot of time and work to maintain a healthy, dense carpet of grass. Would you rather spend your weekends enjoying your New York lawn rather than maintaining it? If you do, then let our crews from Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, in New City, NY, take care of all of your lawn care needs. If you live in Rockland or Westchester Counties in NY or in Bergen, NJ, call us at 845-708-2988 or fill out our contact form.