8 Ways Your Lawn Helps the Environment
Majestic Lawn & Landscape Serving Rockland County, NY & Bergen County, NJ
Did you know that your lawn actually benefits the environment?
Most people think that their lawn’s purpose is curb appeal. Yet, it’s been proven that your yard’s turfgrass helps cool the air, prevents erosion, and preserves green spaces.
Not only does a healthy lawn benefit Mother Nature above ground, but it also feeds the soil under the turf line.
Here are eight ways your lawn in Bergen County, NJ or in Rockland County, NY benefit the Earth:
- Erosion prevention. Remember the “Dirty Thirties (also known as the Dust Bowl of the 1930s)? Scientists found that the Dust Bowl was caused by the disappearance of prairie grass. Your turfgrass’s root system helps bind the soil from eroding and keeps topsoil in its place.
- Air purifier. Did you know that a 50’ x 50’ yard makes enough oxygen for a family of four? Your lawn traps harmful pollutants from the air and absorbs them. Your lawn also collects dust, dirt, and smoke to clean the air you breathe.
- Noise controller. Your lawn helps to muffle noise. Think about it—noise is unable to bounce off of a porous surface like your lawn.
- Fire retardant. Your dense lawn can protect your property from fire because it can stop it—naturally.
- Air conditioner. Did you ever walk barefoot on asphalt and hopped around until you could get to the grass to cool your feet? Not only does a lawn help keep your bare feet from roasting on a hot summer day, it absorbs the sun’s rays—cooling the air around you.
- Water purifier. Your yard acts like a purification system every time it rains. It lessens the impact of acid rain and cleanses it before it goes into creeks, lakes, rivers and streams.
- Lawn nutrients. A healthy, well-maintained lawn will give itself nutrients every time your yard is mowed. By leaving grass clippings on your lawn, it gets an extra boost of nitrogen.
- Stress reducer. How do you feel after a long, hectic day when you walk out to your backyard? Do you breathe in the warm summer air? You may feel yourself relaxing right away. Science now backs up the benefits of green spaces at reducing stress—including lawns.
There’s more than meets the eye when it comes to your lawn’s benefits. Spring will be here before you know it. If you live in Rockland County, NY or Bergen County, NJ, call us for all of your lawn care needs at (845) 708-2988 or fill out our contact form.
The Lawn Institute.org.
PBS.org. “Legacy: The Dust Bowl,” http://goo.gl/RjkoSc.