Did you know that fall is the perfect time to plant trees, bulbs, and perennials? Fall is better than spring because the soil temperature is still warm enough to encourage rapid root development. But daytime temperatures are now cooler to slow down aboveground growth.
In Rockland County, NY and Bergen County, NJ, our autumn weather provides adequate rainfall to make your lawn and landscapes pop with color and vibrancy next spring.
Here are seven types of plant media that we can install for you this fall:
- Trees – Autumn is the perfect season to plant trees. There is less water leaving trees because of the cooler and shorter days. Less transpiration means the trees can focus their energies to developing better root systems. Better roots help your trees retain moisture and nutrition throughout the winter season.
- Shrubs – Like trees, shrubs do well when they’re planted in early to mid-fall. If you wait too long to plant trees and shrubs, you run the risk of your woody plants not developing adequate roots. And your investment may die over the winter. Most deciduous shrubs do well when planted in fall. However, rhododendrons and yews, as well as other broadleaf and narrow leaf evergreens thrive when planted in the spring.
- Lawns – As we explained in “Get Your NY Turf Back on Track This Fall,” autumn is the perfect time to overseed your lawn. The cooler temperatures and warm soil encourage your grass seedlings to develop deeper root systems—to help them survive winter as well as to grow next spring into lush, dense, and healthy turf to crowd out weeds.
- Spring bulbs – Do you want different colors and textures to dominate your beds next spring? Then hire us to plant spring bulbs for you. Here are some bulbs that deer, mice, and other critters won’t eat: allium, crown imperials, daffodils, grape hyacinths and snowdrops.
- Pansies – Pansies and their cousins, violas, come in different textures and colors. Plant them now for some fall color and they’ll reseed for early color next spring.
- Perennials – Plant media that have large root balls need to be planted before the first freeze. We can also divide hostas, ferns and other plants that need to be broken up.
- Transplanting perennials – Fall is the perfect time to transplant perennials such as daylilies, irises and peonies.
Now’s the time of year when your plant investment will have the most success. Remember that your new plants will need to have one inch of water per week until the ground freezes—whether that’s from Mother Nature or from you. Before we leave your property, we’ll give you some handy irrigation tips to avoid over- or under-watering your new plants.
Do you want to add some trees, shrubs and perennials to your Rockland County, NY or Bergen County, NJ landscape this fall? Then call us at Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape at (845) 708-2988 or fill out our contact form.
Better Homes and Gardens. “What to Plant in the Fall,” BHG.com.
The Morton Arboretum. “Fall Planting of Trees and Shrubs.”