Crabgrass, that faithful weed that graces everyone’s lawn in Rockland, Westchester, Bergen, and Orange Counties, is making a comeback again this spring. Although it’s inevitable that you’ll have some crabgrass on your lawn, you can control how much the weed dominates your turf.
Here are five ways that Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape can help you keep crabgrass under control:
- Fertilize: By fertilizing on a regular basis, you’ll not only have a healthier lawn, but you’ll also control crabgrass from taking over it. Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape are experts and know the right fertilizer for properties in Rockland, Westchester, Bergen, and Orange Counties. In early spring, they will apply a fertilizer to release minerals gradually into your soil, and in later spring, they’ll apply a second application of fertilizer to give your lawn a shot of nitrogen for quick growing grass.
- Insect and Disease Control: Study your lawn. Are there brown spots at specific places? Do you have large sections of your lawn where the grass has died? Then, you may have a turf disease or an insect control problem. Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape can diagnose your turf’s ailment.
Some other indicators of turf deterioration: Too much moisture below the grass level may indicate a fungal disease. Whole patches of dead lawn could point to a grub control problem. Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape will diagnose your lawn’s ailment and they’ll advise you on what they can do to bring your lawn back to life.
- Proper Mowing Techniques: Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape sets their mower blades so that only a third of the grass blade is clipped when they mow your yard. And they always keep their mowing blades sharp.
Consider keeping mowed grass on your lawn as natural compost. You can request that Majestic leaves the grass on your lawn or you can request that they catch the spent grass for you.
- Watering: Your lawn should get between 1 – 1 ½ inches of water per week. There are many different types of sprinklers on the market that will meet your watering needs. Portable sprinklers are the most economical, but require you to move them around; stationary sprinklers stay in one place and cover a set amount of area; oscillating sprays shoot water back and forth or in a circular pattern; and an irrigation system is controlled by a timer and is ideal for folks who aren’t home a lot because they travel or the property is a vacation home.
Ask Joe Holland, of Majestic, what he suggests would be the best sprinkler or irrigation system for your property.
- Herbicides: Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape provides choices for you when it comes to pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides. A pre-emergent herbicide works to control crabgrass propagation as long as it’s applied before the crabgrass seeds germinate, which is usually in early spring.
A pre-emergent herbicide forms a barrier in your soil and kills newly sprouted crabgrass before it has a chance to mature. Majestic will schedule your pre-emergent application at the right time to avoid killing any reseeded grass that has been planted.
Majestic will spray a post-emergent herbicide on mature crabgrass that is found on your lawn. The crabgrass will die as a result of direct application on the leaves, and Majestic will not apply a post-emergent on a newly seeded lawn. And they will mow your new grass three times before they apply any post-emergent onto your turf.
Even though you can’t stop crabgrass from growing in your yard, Majestic will help you control how much crabgrass takes over it. If you live in Rockland, Westchester, Bergen, and Orange Counties, contact us, or call Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, today, for an appointment at 845-708-2988.