If you live in Bergen County, New Jersey or Rockland County, New York, you know the damage that grubs can do to your lawn. Most grubs that destroy your lawn are called white grubs. These grubs are immature scarab beetles, such as European chafers, Japanese beetles, and Oriental beetles. Now’s the time to put down preventative grub control before Japanese and other beetles deposit their eggs in your lawn during the middle of summer.
What’s the Big Deal about Grubs?
Grubs can be a big deal if your lawn has more than five per square foot. There are three main reasons why you don’t want grubs in your lawn:
- All grubs can cause turf damage. Grub control and treatment is based on the type of grubs that are found in New York and New Jersey lawns. At Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, we can identify the type of grubs infesting your lawn and develop a treatment plan to get rid of them.
- White grubs feed on your turf’s roots, causing brown spots to occur and eventually killing your lawn.
- If you have a grub infestation, you may notice holes and tunnels where moles, raccoons, and skunks have dug out the grubs to eat them.
- It’s best to employ preventative maintenance so grubs don’t have a chance to eat your lawn to death.
How do I Know If I Have a Grub Problem?
You’ll know if you have a grub problem if:
- You notice patches of dead turf in the early spring or in the early to mid-fall.
- You notice animals digging in areas where grubs may be.
- You dig out a square foot and count more than five grubs within that space.
- Your grass is spongy in areas.
- You can pull your turf back like a carpet.
Now that you know the symptoms of a grub infestation, you can move onto the next step and get rid of them. There are many things you can do to either prevent grubs or to get rid of them. Here are some lawn care tips to help you:
- Take care of your lawn. Make sure it gets an inch of water every week; proper fertilization and mowed at the correct height.
- Go a little dry during mid- to late summer to kill grubs by dehydrating them.
- Hire us at Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape to diagnose your grub problem and to set up a plan to get rid of them.
- Make sure you contact us to spot treat your lawn for grubs during the summer.
- Make an appointment with us in late October through July.
- During this time period, we’ll apply preventative treatments to your lawn to control grubs from feasting on it throughout the summer and fall.
All grubs can destroy a lawn, but white grubs are the most potent and will devour a lawn as they mature into beetles. Be proactive by using good lawn care maintenance practices as well as hiring us to rid your lawn of grubs.
Do you want us to take care of all of your lawn maintenance needs, as well as get rid of grubs in your lawn? If you live in Bergen County, NJ or Rockland County, NY, call us today for an appointment at (845) 708-2988 or fill out our contact form at Majestic Lawn Care and Landscapes.
“Grubs in Your Lawn? A Guide for Lawn Care Professionals and Homeowners,” Cornell University Cooperative Extension.
“Too Many Grubs Spoil the Grass,” Ohio State University Extension Newsletter.