Plant a Tree to Celebrate Arbor Day
Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape Proudly Serving Rockland County, NY & Bergen County, NJ
This year, Arbor Day is on Friday, April 29. How are you going to celebrate?
You can observe Arbor Day by adding trees to your landscape. The trees in our NY & NJ landscapes give us shade, color, height, wind protection and noise reduction as well as many other benefits.
Now is the best time to honor a loved one or a beloved pet with a tree. Learn more about selecting a tree and hiring a certified arborist to plant your new tree below.
Picking the Right Tree for Your Landscape
Before you go to your local nursery to pick out a tree, there are several considerations you need to make concerning the type of tree you’re going to invest in and where you’ll plant it.
Here are six areas you should consider before buying trees for your landscape:
- Which type of tree will meet your landscape needs? There are four types to choose from―shade, flowering, ornamental and evergreen.
- How big do you want your tree to be when it’s fully grown?
- How much space do you have on your property for the type of tree that you want to plant?
- How much shade do you want from your new tree?
- How much tree litter do you want to pick up each year?
- What are the ground conditions? Wet or Dry?
You can read more about these six questions in this blog about tree planting.
Hire a Professional Arborist to Help You Pick & Plant Your Tree
A certified arborist is the best person to call when you’re ready to select a tree. Your certified arborist can:
- Evaluate the area on your property where you want to add a tree.
- Guide you on the best type of tree to meet your needs.
- Find a nursery with healthy stock. You’ll also get a warranty from your arborist for your new trees in case they get a disease or die within the first year.
- Plant your tree using the right equipment.
- Fertilize your young tree to get it off to a good start.
- Inspect, fertilize and mulch your property’s new tree as well as existing ones throughout each growing season.
The trees on your property need plant health care just like your lawn and landscapes do—read these steps to keeping your property’s trees healthy.
Celebrating Arbor Day, Earth Day and National Lawn Care Month
As the trees start to pop out their leaves, your lawn starts to green up and your landscapes burst with color, consider celebrating the good things about nature.
In April, there are three American “holidays” commemorating Mother Nature:
- Arbor Day – Plant a tree
- Earth Day – A reminder to take care of our planet
- National Lawn Care Month – The National Association for Landscape Professionals (NALP) marks April as a month to celebrate lawns. You can read more about the benefits of lawns at their website.
Summer storms are around the corner. Read more about how a certified arborist can inspect your trees to help prevent storm damage.
Are you ready to celebrate Arbor Day? Consider planting a new tree in celebration of a new child in the family, a special anniversary or in memory of a special pet.
If you’re looking for a certified arborist to help you with your tree care needs—including adding trees to your landscape this spring―call us at Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape. Joe Holland, president of Majestic, is a certified arborist and is happy to help you with all of your tree care needs.
Call us at Majestic today (845) 708-2988 or fill out our contact form. You can also follow us on Facebook!
“4 Things to Consider When Choosing Your Next Backyard Tree,” LoveYourLandscape.org.