Why Timing Matters When Pruning NY Shrubs
Majestic Lawn Care & Landscape Proudly Serving Rockland County, NY and Bergen County, NJ
There is a time for everything—including when to prune your Rockland or Bergen County shrubs.
Generally, people have their pruning done in late June through early July, after their shrubs have flushed out, and again in late October through early November. This helps keep the plants’ desired shape as well as prevent them from getting too large or crowding out other plants.
- Dead wood: Removing dead wood allows the shrub to have more air circulation and sunlight. Plus, pruning shrubs also encourages new growth to form.
- Crossing branches: Any branches that touch each other or cross over other branches need to be pruned. Only keep the branches that are growing toward the outside.
- Large, old stems: Removing old, large branches down to the ground encourages new, vigorous growth, especially in rhododendrons.
Summer pruning also helps spring-flowering bushes to
- Keep their natural form
- Control their size.
How Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape Can Help You
At Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, we serve homeowners in Rockland County, NY and in Bergen County, NJ. When we come to your home,
- We’ll first inspect your bushes before pruning.
- We’ll use selective pruning practices where we’ll hand-trim your ornamentals instead of using hedge trimmers (when called for).
- Our goal is to keep the shrub’s natural form and control its size.
Do you need a professional landscape company to help you with your pruning needs? If so, call us at (845) 708-2988 or fill out our contact form.
Day, Julie, “Basic Shrub Pruning Techniques,” Today’sHomeowner.com.
National Association of Landscape Professionals, “Shaping Your Shrubs,” LoveYourLandscape.org.
Ibid, “When to Prune Your Shrubs.”
Holland, Joe, Arborist and Owner of Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, Rockland County, NY.