There’s nothing like a bubbling fountain, a rushing waterfall or the sound of splashing water as kids jump in your Rockland County, NY swimming pool. Research has proven that water has a relaxing effect on people, even to the point of lowering blood pressure.
By adding a water feature to your backyard, you can create your very own paradise. At Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, we design and build:
- Water Falls & Ponds
- Pondless Waterfalls
- Dry streams
Water Feature Placement in Your Landscape
Before you invest in a water feature, you need to decide the purpose for it. For example, if you have kids and teens, you may want a swimming pool. Yet, if you’re retired or the kids have left the nest, a fountain, pond, or waterfall may be the ticket for you.
Next, you need to consider the size of your property. Swimming pools take up a lot of space and are a long-term investment. Ponds and fountains can be designed and built on smaller properties as well as large ones. Waterfalls do better on a larger property so the landscape fits around it.
You also need to think about where you want your new water feature to be built on your property. Some considerations:
- You want your water feature to be a focal point in your landscape—both outdoors and indoors. For example, in the middle of January, you still want to be able to see your pond or fountain from the inside your home.
- You want your water feature to fit in with your overall landscape master plan. We can help you design a master plan that includes your water feature. You don’t want to just plop your swimming pool or water fall in the middle of your backyard and hope it works. Water features are too big of an investment and a project that isn’t easily transferred to another spot on your property. So placement needs to be decided during the drawing plans stage.
- You need to place your water feature near your electrical sources to be able to plug in pumps and other parts that make your water feature work.
- You need to consider your budget and time needs. Adding water features, especially a pool or a waterfall, are big investments. You also need to have time to maintain them. For example, if you have koi in your pond, you need to feed them and make sure that the pond stays clean to support aquatic life.
- You need to take your property size into consideration. For example, a large pond and waterfall may be impractical for a small yard. Instead, you could have a smaller pond with a fountain.
A Word about Dry Streams
Dry streams are a bit different from other water features. They actually serve two purposes. Many people have dry streams built on their property to help with stormwater management by directing water away from their homes and toward a drain. And groups of plants can be installed along the dry stream bed to help filter out debris and pollutants, keeping Rockland County, NY and Bergen County, NJ waterways clean.
These dry streams not only allow you to plant landscape beds throughout its length; it also helps irrigate these plants during a heavy rain storm.
How to Get Started with a Water Feature
The first step to designing a water feature for your Rockland County, NY or Bergen County, NJ backyard is to sit down with us to discuss:
- Your landscape master plan.
- Your property’s measurements. When we visit your home, we’ll take accurate measurements.
- How we’ll design and build your water feature so you’ll be happy with your long-term investment.
- How we build water features to last.
- How we build water features for easy maintenance.
- Your ultimate purpose for a water feature: A place for kids to play, a quiet area for you to relax and meditate, or a focal point that makes your guests go “Wow!”
At Majestic Lawn Care and Landscape, we have 23 years of experience designing and building water features on Rockland County, NY and Bergen County, NJ properties. You can feel confident that we’ll construct your water feature to last, bring value to your home, and add many years of enjoyment for you and your family.
Are you ready to design and build a water feature on your Rockland County, NY or Bergen County, NJ backyard? Then call us today at 845-708-2988 or fill out our contact form.
Landscaping Network, “Backyard Waterfall Design.”
Ibid. “Backyard Water Features.”
Ibid. “Garden Pond Design: Ideas for Creating Backyard Ponds.”
Ibid. “Outdoor Fountain Ideas: Design Inspirations for Garden Fountains.”
Ibid. “Swimming Pool Design: Tips and Design Ideas for Installing an Inground Swimming Pool.”
Refi, Paula. “Dry Stream Does Double Duty: A Streambed Stops Erosion and Enhances the Landscape,” Fine Gardening, Jan./Feb. 2001.